DUI / DWI
Winston Salem DUI/DWI Defense Attorney
DUI/DWI (drunk-driving) charges can result in serious consequences, including a lost license, jail time and significant fines. You can protect your rights and may even defeat your charges with experienced advocacy. At Morrow Porter Vermitsky Fowler & Taylor, PLLC, in Winston-Salem, we offer strategic, hard-hitting defense to protect clients who have failed sobriety tests or breathalyzers and face drunk-driving charges.
Prosecutors in the Winston-Salem area and throughout North Carolina vigorously pursue DUI/DWI charges. Aggravating factors include injuries in accidents caused by drunk driving or having a child in the car. When you are facing the serious consequences of a DUI/DWI charge, please contact us for an immediate consultation.
Drunk-driving charges carry serious penalties including:
- Loss of driving privileges
- Monetary fines
- Community service requirements
- Drug and alcohol counseling
- Requirements for alcohol sensing equipment to be placed on an automobile (ignition interlock devices)
A person can be convicted of DWI in one of two ways:
- By poor performance on Field Sobriety Testing — i.e. walk and turn test, one leg stand test, Horizontal Gaze Nystagmous (HGN), or
- By machine determination of Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) through the use of an “intoxilyzer” machine.
It is important to remember that every citizen has the right to refuse to perform field sobriety tests and/or refuse to submit to a blood alcohol analysis (intoxilyzer). Such a refusal may lead to the loss of one’s license for a period of time but may increase a defendant’s chances at trial.
In this complicated environment of criminal charges, it is important to have an attorney with the experience and legal knowledge to protect your interests. Mr. Benjamin Porter is a board-certified specialist in criminal law and practices in both federal and state courts. Additionally, Mr. John C. Vermitsky also actively represents clients in criminal proceedings of all varieties and uses his ability to speak Spanish to assist diverse members of the local community.